Summer is synonymous with festivals and Queer Spirit is a firm favourite of ours. Set in the Wiltshire countryside over 150 acres, Queer Spirit welcomes 500 people for its second year of queerness, community and magic. This year there will be 40 facilitators, activists and healers bringing a vast array of activities including movement, healing, sacred sexuality, crafts, ceremonies, rituals and campaigns. There will be play areas, chill-out zones, veggie/vegan cafes, stalls and a sauna, in other words, there is something for everyone. Special care has been taken to ensure that the camping experience is enjoyed by everyone, there is community camping, areas for children, women-only and accessible camping zones.
Queer Spirit extends far beyond a simple festival, here are their values:
- To celebrate the indomitable spirit of LGBT+ people.
- To support and sustain, and to provide safe places to explore, the spirituality of LGBT+ people, and to build bridges and understanding between LGBT+ spiritual and religious groups.
- To create gatherings of the queer-spirited tribes.
- To put an end to the isolation of, and the discrimination against, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgendered, queer and intersex people, and all other people whose sexual or gender identity makes them liable to such isolation and discrimination.
- To create safe spaces free from homophobia, heterosexism and any other form of discrimination or abuse.
- To provide events, workshops and entertainments that are relevant and interesting to LGBT+ , in particular in areas where little exists, and where LGBT+ people are geographically or culturally isolated or dependent on pubs and clubs for social contact.
- To make the organisation accessible to all LGBT+ people, regardless of location, race, colour, culture, class, religion, age, disability or gender, and to set up alliances with non-LGBT+ people who support our aims and wish to work with us.